What’s the best proofreading tool that bloggers, author, and writers use? Is there any trusted and secure online software that let us fix common writing issues in blog posts or articles like grammar, spelling, and verbs?
And what about support for different browser and operating systems? We all want to have good apps for Windows, Mac or online that helps us to understand our writing and editing errors with explanations and clarifications?
Nowadays, writing an eBook, a blog post or articles can take hours of proofreading, editing, and checking. Even a simple Facebook post needs at least some kinds of app that catch the spelling issues.
So, there is no way to produce high-quality content without using powerful systems that help us to proofread our text and get error-free writing.
In this guide, I’ll show you:
- the best online proofreading solution to use
- the Pros, Cons, and details
- a quick review of each tool and service
- which software is the best to proofread the text
For many, having a quick comparison table is what they look for, so, before reviewing each one of the most popular websites and services, here is a comparison of Grammarly Vs Ginger Vs WhiteSmoke, the top 3 tools.
Editing and proofreading tools
The first time I used Grammarly was in 2013, at that time, there was no real English proofreading software or application that helps especially in fixing WordPress writing. So, I wanted to give it a try and it was amazing in one word.
This is actually the number one proofreading solution for writers and bloggers. Even more, popular authors who are successful on Amazon and have bestseller ebook on Kindle are using it.
So, there is no reason for not trying Grammarly, see how it works, what you can fix as errors, spelling and grammar problems and then, decide.
Best of all, it’s free, and you can use it on Chrome, Safari or Firefox through one of their extensions.
On the other hand, if you prefer the native apps, there is an application for Mac OS and also Windows.
That being said, I personally prefer using their browser extension that’s lightweight, fast and doesn’t need any disk space.
I was looking for a good writing editor for Mac and come across Grammarly, so, I tried it and found it working faster than what I expected.
Just make sure you install it if you write a lot, or just install the Safari extension and you’ll proofread your writing on mac like a pro.
Unlike other popular writing apps, this one is the most sophisticated. It scans the text and understands d what you mean, and that prevents wrong suggestions.
The best part is that there is no automated correction, but the software automatically checks your text for errors and styling. That way, you get a full list of grammatical and spelling problems to fix with one click.
- Related: best essay checker software
If you use your smartphone a lot, then, use their app on the go. And if you don’t want to install any app or extension, you still have the online editing tool, it’s a complete writing solution with features to have error-free writing.
The worst thing that a writer need, is to find that he copied a phrase from a website without even noticing that (that happens as we are all human). So, dealing with content that’s not original is not easy.
For that, there is a premium plagiarism detector with Grammarly. It scans the web and finds if your text is original or copied.
Now there are some cons and also pros to talk about:
- voted the best proofreading app in the world
- millions of users
- proofreading any text online
- used by well-known writers and bloggers
- the right option to proofread blog posts, newsletters, and sales pages.
- it comes in many versions: browser extension, mobile app, native desktop application
- completely free to use, unless you need extra levels of checking, there is a premium version for you
- over 400 checking points
- exclusive plagiarism checker (write with confidence, your text will be 100% original)
- complete sentence checker
- weekly reports including your progress, your common errors and what to do to fix them
- it has a dedicated version for universities and students
- the user gets the definitions and synonyms of any word or phrase with double clicks
- you can access your personal advisor using the online account
- Microsoft Office integration
- if you add a new word that the software is unable to recognize, you can add it to your personal dictionary.
- you can use it to check your emails, Facebook posts, tweets, etc…
While it’s is my preferred editing and writing tool, it comes with some cons:
- you can only use it with an Internet connection (online)
- it won’t let you fix all the errors in WordPress and other sites unless you log in, luckily, it’s free anyway.
- the price may look expensive to many and even if some need the best proofreading software online, they find themselves in the need to use the free version as the premium plan is not cheap.
Is Grammarly free?
The editing software can be used completely for free, it offers what we all need as spell checking, punctuation fixing, and complete proofreading.
There are extra features that use their servers excessively and o course, that needs a lot of resources to maintain the best performances. So, in the premium account, you get an advanced contextual grammar check, plagiarism checker and more.
In addition, there is an academic proofreading service that you can get in your account.
So how much does the paid Grammarly version cost?
If you want to buy the premium plan, then, there is a good deal:
- the one billing of one year cost $139
- the monthly subscription cost is $29.95
- if you choose to pay Quarterly, the premium plan cost is 19.98/month with one payment of $59.95
- there are also plans for businesses, the cost will depend on the number of users ($10 per user monthly).
Grammarly premium vs free:
Believe it or not, I know popular journalists who use the premium version and can’t publish a single document without clicking the check text button.
But that doesn’t mean that the free version is not worth it, you still be able to fix your writing and avoid common spelling mistakes like a pro. The differences between the free and premium versions are:
- the premium version comes with advanced checking for punctuation, spelling, grammar and sentence structure.
- there are suggestions for vocabulary enhancement
- advanced checks for your Genre-specific writing style
- powerful plagiarism checker
The main idea here is this if you need a good free online proofreading software, and you don’t want to buy a premium plan, then, choose Grammarly.
However, if you are really working hard and you write lots of articles, guides or your work as a freelance writer, then, I recommend investing in the premium version, it worth the subscription price. Or, if you need more details, you can read the Grammarly review and learn more about their options, solutions, and features.
If there is one website that checks your text for spelling and helps you fix the sentence structure, it will be Ginger. Grammarly is good, however, this writing editor works better for fixing the most common spelling and punctuation issues.
You should also have an idea about fixing grammar and punctuation issues, you’ll save a lot of time when using any app.
As any other website, use it with care, don’t always click on every suggestion the app makes. Sometimes, you’ll find the wrong corrections that you need to ignore, and learning the writing principles and rules should be your first step.
Each online proofreading program has its own best features, Ginger is better at detecting punctuation problems.
For that, if you want to write a novel or an ebook and have a fast, but accurate translation, then, get Ginger and save a lot of time.
Pros of Ginger:
- it works well for spelling and punctuation
- there are Windows and Mac versions
- good online editing interface
- translating tool
- sentence rephrase
- text reader
- it proofread your text on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Gmail, LinkedIn and more.
- easy online proofreader
Cons of Ginger:
- the browser extension may not work with WordPress and other apps
- Ginger is copying Grammarly on everything they do, I know their software for years, and now, their pages, features, writing, and designs are copied.
Prices: In order to have no mistakes proofreading with Ginger, it’s better to go with their premium plan. The free tool work, but not that much. So, here is an overview of the Ginger prices.
- the one-year plan cost $89.88
- the monthly plan cost is $20.97
- The Quarterly plans cost $13.00/month with one payment of $40.97
Grammarly vs Ginger:
In reality, Grammarly is much better, they’re the best in online proofreading and I noticed that Ginger software is copying the first one’s marketing strategy like promotions, banners, etc…However, Ginger is better in identifying unknown spelling issues like missing letters and it works better in some cases.
- Read also: how to write a blog post in WordPress
But you don’t need to use the premium version of Ginger as that spelling check option is already offered in the free version. So, install Grammarly and use Ginger online checker if you think that you’re going to make lots of hidden spelling problems.
WhiteSmoke is one of the best English writing tools in the market, it has multiple systems that correct your writing anytime you need.
This proofreading software received appreciations, positive feedback, and thumb ups from the world’s best writers for its linguistic capabilities and ease of use.
WhiteSmoke is also recommended for writers who publish a lot of content. It’s a complete editing solution that comes with many good features including:
- grammar checker
- style checker
- it works with Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
- spell checker
- punctuation check
I wanted to see if they have a mobile app, and surprisingly, WhiteSmoke can be used through a good mobile app that you can install from Google Play or the App Store.
- WhiteSmoke Mobile app
WhiteSmoke or Grammarly?:
I know WhiteSmoke before even hearing about Grammarly, so it’s older and should have a better experience in identifying writing style problems, spelling mistakes, etc…Unfortunately, WhiteSmoke did not use the long years to develop powerful software that checks grammar, punctuation and fix errors.
So, compared to Grammarly, WhiteSmoke is unable to detect the same errors and help the user in learning more about his mistakes and fix them.
Even more, Grammarly is better in use and you can install it on web browsers or use the native app for Windows or Mac.
Now, if we compare both proofreading websites, then, we should say that the first option is better than WhiteSmoke.
Best proofreading services
Scribendi is a professional proofreading service, so, the features are similar if you exclude the human proofreading behind the website interface.
When you use Scribendi English academic editing, you get a report with spelling errors, punctuation issues, grammar errors and typos in your submitted document.
Also, you can find a history of document changes made by expert English editors. That way, it’s easy to find the progress of proofreading with comments and suggestions.
Pros of Scribendi:
- one of the best editing and online proofreading services
- real expert editors who check your paper
- it works best for business documents
- it can be used to be proofread papers, essays, journal articles, assignments, presentations, etc…
- it’s not a cheap proofreading service (proofreading a document of 500 words cost $34 or more)
- no plagiarism detector
If there is a proofreading service that’s recommended for business and official documents, it will be Scribendi. I know someone who uses their service for diplomatic text editing.
- Editorr’s Proofreading service
If you don’t want to use a proofreading software, you can still use this service to make your writing free of grammatical mistakes embarrassing spelling.
As a well-known proofreading service, Editorr connects you with real English language editor 24/7.
So, when you need to check your document for error, you can submit the text and one of their highly qualified editing team will fix your writing problem and make your text error-free.
- smart technology that cost you with editors
- fast editing services
- real people
- it works well to proofread business emails, social media content, resumes and cover letters
- expensive proofreading service compared to the above options
As this is not a subscription-based website, you pay as you go, the user will be charged $19 for 500 words.
Which is the best writing tool?
As you can see, each one of these trusted apps for writing comes with advantages and disadvantage.
So, there is no perfect program that fixes all your text errors and works better than human editing. However, when it comes to saving time, having a good writing experience, there is one recommended solution and it’s Grammarly.
It works with all types of websites, and it came with a free version and also a premium account for extended features.
On the other side, like all the other options, the app won’t work offline. That’s one of the worst things about any program.
If we look closely, we’ll find that in order to have an offline corrector tool for your text, we need a big size of the software that no personal computer can work with.
In reality, Grammarly has a huge database of data that needs lots of servers to work and fix your text.
So, thinking that way, we need to keep in mind that there is no offline proofreading solution that can work unless you have data centers and millions of dollars to invest in it.
If you think that you have more spelling problems than grammar, then, Ginger will be your best solution. Its work well and it’s good for spelling and punctuation checker.
Now, if you’re one of those who write lots of content on Facebook, social media and uses a smartphone all day, then, choosing WhiteSmoke is better for you.
The mobile app works well, no matter if you have also or a fast Internet connection. But if there is one single solution to proofread documents online and improve writing skills for writers, then, it’s Grammarly.