In general, social media platforms can be a great way for people to connect and communicate. Unfortunately, these apps also have a dark side. People can get a lot meaner and more insensitive behind the keyboard. That’s where the block button comes in handy. Blocking someone on Snapchat will only take a minute. However, it will save you from any future harassment or unwelcome communications from this person.
That often happens with a boyfriend or a girlfriend who doesn’t want to head back from their partner.
Never feel forced to continue interactions you’re not comfortable with. You also should never tolerate or put up with unacceptable behaviors, even if they were online. There’s no maximum number of people you can block on Snapchat. You can block whoever you want on the app, even if they were not on your Friends List. However, it’s still advisable to use the block feature wisely.
How to block someone on Snapchat?
The steps for blocking a person on the app are the same on both iOS and Android. Learn them well so you can take back control over your account. First, you need to open the app and sign into your account, if required.
There are several ways to block a user on Snapchat:
From your friends’ list
If you and the user you want to block are friends on Snapchat, you can follow these steps:
- Tap on your “Profile” icon. You should find it in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Then, go to the “Friends” section. Here, you can see the list of your friends on the app.
- Scroll down the list till you find the user you wish to block. You can also type their username in the search box.
- Once you have located the account, you want to block, tap on their username and hold.
- Now, select “More”.
- Tap on the “Block” written in red and then confirm.
Is the person you’re looking for not on your Friends List? No problem; you can still block them on the app. Here is how:
- At the top of the screen, you need to find the word “Friends.” Tap on the search bar next to it.
- Write the username you’re looking for.
- Tap on the user and hold.
- You get a menu. Choose “More.”
- Tap on “Block” and then confirm.
From the chat
If you and the person you want to block, have an open chat on Snapchat, you can try these steps:
- Find the chat with the user you want to block.
- Open the chat and tap on their profile icon.
- In the top left corner, you’ll find three dots. Click on them.
- Choose “More”.
- Tap on the red “Block” button and confirm.
Blocking them from their stories
- Tap on their story and hold. You can also open their story and tap on their username.
- A menu of options will open. Choose “More”.
- This will open the advanced options.
- Click on the red “Block” button.
- Finally, confirm.
On the Map
Blocking someone through the Snapchat Map is easy. All you have to do is to follow the next steps:
- To open the map, swipe down.
- Tap on the user you want to block on the map.
- Their card will open. Tap and hold on to it to view their profile.
- Choose the triple dots.
- Click on “Block” and then “Confirm”.
What happens when you block someone?
It’s not always an easy decision to block someone on any app. However, sometimes it’s inevitable. Trying to understand what exactly happens when you block a friend can be confusing. It’s
In all cases, the person will never get a notification from the Snap app saying you have blocked them. However, they can still find out using their own ways. Many other indicators can show them they have been blocked. So, be careful and choose wisely who you want to block on Snapchat.
The person you block will not be able to find you on the app. Even if they search for your name or username, they will not get anything. It will be as if your account does not exist on the app. By blocking a user, they will not also be able to view your stories on Snapchat or Group Charms.
If you already have an open chat with the user you blocked, they can still send you messages. However, you’ll not receive them. The messages will appear to the person you blocked as unread. They cannot also send you any Snaps. In other words, blocking a user on the app will completely cut them off from you on the app.
Removing a person from your Snapchat friend List is not like blocking them. A blocked user will not be able to see even your public content on the app. That’s not the case with a deleted friend. They can still see anything you share publicly on the Snap app.
If your privacy settings allow anyone to send you messages, a removed friend will be able to contact you. People on your blocked list, however, cannot do that.
Do not worry! Blocking someone on the app does not have to be permanent. If you have blocked someone probably, by mistake, or changed your mind, you can easily reverse the block.
How to unblock someone on Snapchat?
Like many social media platforms, the Snap app allows you to unblock people. You can unblock a person whenever you want. Here is how:
- Open the app.
- Now, tap on your profile icon (top-left corner).
- Click on the settings icon. It’s the gear sign on the top right.
- In the settings screen, scroll till you reach the “Blocked” section. You’ll find it at the very bottom of the screen. There you’ll see a list of all the people you have blocked.
- After that, find the username of the person you want to unblock. Tap on the “X” next to it.
- Choose “Yes”.
Blocking a person will automatically delete them from your Snapchat Friend List. Even if you unblock them, they will not return to your list of friends on the app. To be able to view their snaps, you’ll need to add them again on the app. This will most probably make the person suspect that you have blocked them before.
Snapchat is known for placing time restrictions on blocking, unblocking, and then re-adding the same person again. If you do all these actions within a short period, the system might put a restriction on your account. You’ll not be allowed to re-add this person for 24 hours.
How do you know if someone has blocked you on Snapchat?
You can never be 100 percent sure. However, some indicators can show you this person might have blocked your Snapchat. You can try and search for their username on the app. If you cannot find it, try using another account to search for the same username. This time, if you find their account, you can know for sure this person has blocked you.
Blocking someone is considered one of the most extreme methods to avoid any communication with them. The Snap app offers other less restrictive options you can make use of when required:
Do Not Disturb
This option allows you to silence all Snapchat notifications from certain users or groups. They will still be able to send you snaps and chats. However, by turning on the “Do Not Disturb” feature, you’ll not be bothered by their notifications anymore.
You’ll still stay friends on Snapchat, and the person will not get notified you have silenced all notifications from them. That’s why the “Do Not Disturb” option is considered the least restrictive compared to other methods.
To turn on the “Do Not Disturb” feature:
- Tap on a friend’s name to open a chat.
- Choose the menu icon.
- Tap on “Do Not Disturb”.
Remove from the friends’ list
By deleting a user from your Snapchat friends list, you’ll not be connected anymore to the app. However, they will still be able to view your public stories. They can also send you snaps and chats. This depends on your account privacy settings.
The person you delete will not get notified. However, they might notice that you’re not friends on Snapchat anymore. Still, removing someone from your friends’ list is the perfect solution if you only want to hide your private stories from them.
To delete a user from your Friends List:
- Open a chat with this user.
- Tap on the menu icon.
- Choose “Remove Friend” from the menu list.
Like most other social media platforms, Snapchat can help you connect with family and friends. However, every now and then, you’ll find some people crossing certain lines. To keep your Snap experience fun and protect yourself, you can use any of the above-mentioned methods. They will help you restrict or even stop any contact with a specific person or group.
The block button can be your friend in various situations. However, we still advise you to think twice before clicking on it!