How do you know if a web hosting company is good and will meet your needs? Is bandwidth important? What about disk storage? What if you don’t understand these aspects, let alone how to choose a web host company?
What is a Web Host?
Web hosting means a service provider, such as InMotion Hosting or A2 Hosting, helps clients create a website or web page on the Internet. As such, InMotion, A2 Hosting, and other web hosts offer the technology and services to do this.
Websites are hosted, meaning stored, on servers. So, when someone goes online to visit a website, he or she types the web address into the browser. Then, his or her computer connects to the server used by the web address. Next, the related web pages pop up on the user’s computer screen.
More often than not, web hosting companies mandate that the person, company or organization wanting to post a webpage or launch a website first purchase a domain name. A domain name is an identification within the Internet. Meanwhile, FTP access refers to when the server transfers web files to the server.
What Are the Types of Web Hosting?
There are many services available to host a website or web page. This allows people, companies, and organizations specific to their needs. Those seeking hosting services should identify the service necessary for the needs of their website and their budget. Web hosting types include free hosting, shared hosting, dedicated hosting and colocated hosting.
- Free hosting: This option is typically for someone creating a website casual purposes that may not feature critical content. With a free host, expect a slow connection speed, periods of your website not functioning as well as advertising placed on your site. Sometimes it is possible to receive a free, but nontransferable, subdomain name under the web host’s domain.
- Shared hosting: This choice is usually affordable to those establishing the website and web pages because the cost of operating the server is split between the owners. But because the physical server and the software applications within the server are shared, services are slower. The web host can reduce its cost, and services will be cheaper for shared hosting. There are limitations, though, such as storage and bandwidth. Something else to keep in mind is the websites affect each other because they are sharing the same server. This choice is a good one, though, for simple websites.
- Dedicated hosting: This hosting possibility means that the person, company or organization is the only user of the entire web server. The server is not shared with other website or webpage owners, nor is the cost of operating it. However, this is often the best option for websites in need of a significant amount of security and resources. This seems to be an ideal hosting service option for popular websites with many requirements.
- Collocated hosting: This option indicates the website or web page owner buys its own server, which is stored at a web host’s facilities. As such, the owner is completely responsible for the server and is completely in charge of it, including the installation of applications and scripts.
Other Components of Web Hosting
Additional considerations include disk space. Hosts provide disk space to store web files, based on estimations from website owners on what is needed and for what type of usage. This includes emails, files, and databases.
Email accounts are also a component of web hosting, in particular when a domain is being hosted. There are three primary types of email accounts:
- POP3: traditional email inboxes, with space on a server to store messages as well as a program to download messages; there is a login and password for each account
- forwarding: email accounts often used by a company that is hired to filter emails; rather than storing messages on a server, they are sent to another email account
- aliases: typical accounts collect messages sent to addresses not recognized by the server.
About InMotion Web Hosting
InMotion Hosting is a web hosting company that supports software and developer communities. InMotion touts its ability to assist in transferring experienced webmasters to its web hosting services. It cites its support team along with its industry guarantee of 100 percent satisfaction.
InMotion has sponsorships to some of the most popular open source programs. This includes WordPress, Joomla, B2Evolution, and PrestaShop. This web host offers shared hosting services to small businesses and dedicated servers to large businesses.
The company has live help from staff available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Its web hosting staff has an average of four years of web hosting experience. Plus, each goes through a training program and is not allowed to offer customer support until 160 training hours are completed.
InMotion’s data housing centers are located on both the West and East Coasts of the United States in redundant, climate controlled spaces. Both data centers have recently been upgraded to better meet customers needs. There are multiple provisions in place to keep data safe in the event of a major disaster, as well as safeguards on site to make sure the physical location is secure, too.
The company’s qualifications include Category A, PCI compliant data centers. InMotion maintains nearly 100 percent network uptime with its routing technology and bandwidth providers. What’s more, InMotion has been a highly-rated CNET Hosting company for 30 consecutive years, thanks to the company’s service, web transaction, and business practices. The Better Business Bureau has also recognized InMotion with an A+ service rating, based on performance reviews in the United States and Canada.
InMotions’ network is based on the Linux and Unix operating systems. It is always monitored for unusual activity and overall performance. The company cites this as how it is able to offer domain name registration and web hosting in the fastest, most reliable and most economical manner. Furthermore, InMotion offers customers a 90-day money back guarantee if they are not satisfied with the web hosting services.
About A2 Web Hosting
As a web hosting company, A2 offers its clients web pages that load quickly; staff support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year; significant uptime; and the best developer tools. A2 hosts websites on the SwiftServer platform that has been enhanced by A2 staff over the course of more than 10 years. What’s more Turbo Servers load pages as much as twenty times faster than other web hosting companies. The company says its high-performance SwiftServers means a high-performing website. This means eliminating slow-loading sites, which lead to low conversion rates, low page views, and low satisfaction.
A2 staff members are available around the clock to offer customer support with live help on demand. This means reliable web hosting rather than website downtime and lost exposure online. The company boasts a nearly 100 percent uptime guarantee. Meanwhile, staff ensures servers are running at optimal levels. This includes using industry best practices, the best data centers, and high-end security measures.
The A2 web hosting company started in 2003. Its headquarters are in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
A2 offers server rewind backups in its web hosting packages and also A2 QuickInstaller on its virtual server. Customers’ accounts include current versions of commonly-used developer tools, and continually adds more resources. A2 offers:
Additionally, A2 Hosting wants to do its part to protect the environment. As such, the company started FutureServe Green Hosting. This initiative contributes to battling global warming. A2 is also a partner of Carbonfund.org, as a part of these green efforts that include restoring forests and developing clean, renewable energy. A2 Hosting is 100 percent carbon neutral and operates under many of its own green practices, such as employee telecommuting and reuse of hardware. The company’s data center uses geothermal cooling and does not make a carbon footprint.
The problem with this company is their customer support and the limitations. Here is a simple complaint about their service that you should keep in mind:
Choosing a Web Hosting Service
For people, companies, and organizations seeking a web host, they should know their hosting needs. After all, you cannot connect with the right web host without this key piece of information. Identify:
- What type of website are you building?
- Do you need certain software?
- How much web traffic do you expect?
If you are new to the web-hosting world, first determine your short-term goals and then the longer-term goals for your site.
InMotion Hosting or A2Hosting?
After testing and experiments, InMotion Hosting is faster, more secure and has an amazing customer support based in the USA. InMotion Hosting offers free SSD servers with any plan. So, you get faster loading time for your website pages and even better user experience.
Unlike A2 hosting, InMotion Hosting offers an optimized WordPress hosting with lots of features. Furthermore, they offer the best WordPress website builder tool which is BoldGrid. Also, they offer different types of hosting solutions with better quality. That includes business hosting, VPS, and dedicated servers.